Saturday, May 2, 2009

Bored with Myself

I have a Bruce Springsteen lyric rolling around in my brain right now: "I ain't nothing but tired, man I'm just tired and bored with myself ." [Dancing in the Dark (1984)]

It has been a while since I’ve posted an entry here. I blame it partially on being really busy both at home and at the office, and partially on being bored – with myself, with the topic of training, with the weather . . . blah.

I don’t have any good reason to be bored. We spent last weekend (April 23 – 26) in Palm Springs golfing with Phil’s boss (Bruce) and his wife (Dar).



Our annual trip to Palm Springs is one of the highlights of our year. I have to be honest – the first time we went I spent several weeks dreading the whole thing. I mean, really, I had to take vacation time to go hang out with Phi’s boss. Little did I know it would turn out to be such a great experience.

As you may have surmised by reading this blog, Phil and I are each a little bit ADD. We don’t do well with long bouts of forced inactivity and we tend to use our vacations to squeeze in as much as we physically can every single minute of every day.

That doesn’t work on the Palm Springs trip.


We are forced to chill out and relax – and it is really good for us! We still get up early, but we typically don’t have anywhere to be until our afternoon tee time. So, we forage for breakfast – which we enjoy eating by the pool (tough duty, right?) Then we head out to one of the 3 driving ranges at the PGA West resort, where we are staying. We hit balls for an hour or so, practice pitching and chipping for another 30 minutes, putt for a bit, then make our way back to Bruce and Dar’s in time for lunch.


Then it is time to load up the golf carts (Dar packs coolers with beers, pop, GatorAde, snacks . . . she really pampers everyone). Then the rubber meets the road. Bruce is an excellent golfer. Me and Phil? Not so much. So, in order to make it fun for everyone, Dar (who is a heck of a stick), plays with me and Phil in a 3 way best-ball scramble against Bruce. It takes all the pressure off of us, and we just swing for the fences and have a good time.

After we finish our round, clean up, have a frosty beverage and some snacks, it is time for dinner – which is closely followed by time for bed. As you can see – mucho relaxing.

It is, however, amazing and disheartening to find out how much weight you can pack on in 4 days . . . so this week was spent getting back on the narrow path . . . sigh.

That might explain my boredom. Eating well and working out is my own personal rut – and I’m okay with it . . .usually. But add in the consistently crappy weather and an overloaded in-box at work and my level of satisfaction takes a dive.

So . . . until I don't bore myself, I'll try not to bore you, either!

No comments:

Post a Comment