Saturday, March 7, 2009

Resolution Update

When I posted my New Year’s Resolutions, I hoped that making them public might keep me accountable. It may be working!

My five goals were:

1. Get lean. I’d like to lose about 5 – 7 pounds, but more important, I’d like to reduce my percentage of body fat (I’m not going to tell you what it is today – just that I’d like to drop it 4 or 5 points);

2. Ride the 2009 Mt Evans Hill Climb in 2 hours 45 minutes (my current PR is 2 hours 55 minutes);
3. Break 11 hours at Leadville this year (my PR is 11 hours 11 minutes);
4. Be thankful. Consciously choose to focus on all I have to be thankful for;
5. Be more accepting.

I still have several months before the Hill Climb and Leadville, but I have made progress on my other goals.

I have lost between 5 – 7 pounds (my weight fluctuates a little bit, but I’m right where I’d like to be for the season). I have also dropped my body fat percentage by 4 points. I still have room for improvement there, and hope to get just a bit leaner. More lean muscle will help my metabolism stay revved up, making it easier to keep the weight off.

With the dire economic news we hear each day it might be easy to focus on the bad stuff rather than the good. I don’t see much point in that perspective, though. I am genuinely thankful for:

my health;
for my job;
that my friends and family members are – knock on wood – still employed and weathering the storm;
for the good health of my friends and family;
and that we have several cases of nice wine in the basement . . . just in case!

I don’t know how to measure whether I’m doing a better job of accepting others – their opinions, points of view, approaches to problems or how they squeeze the tube of toothpaste. But I’m mindful; and I’m trying. I think that’s all I can ask for now.

How are you doing with your goals?

No comments:

Post a Comment