Friday, August 7, 2009

Staying Focused

With Phil on the Disabled List, this last week has challenged my focus and my dedication.

Do I really want to do the race if Phil can't ride, too?

Do I want to keep training? (Even though I am in my taper, I'm still working out 5 days a week, with doubles on 2 days in order to work on core strength & flexibility.)

Do I want to keep counting calories and developing strategies to increase my grams of protein while maintaining my complex carbohydrate intake?

In a word – NO.

I don't.

But I will.

To quit now just seems foolish.

I didn't get a whole lot out of the Economics classes I took at Montana State 'lo those many years ago, but the concept of "sunk costs" is one I remember.

I have already "sunk" 10 months into this endeavor. So one more week is no big deal and will allow me to protect my investment.

So this weekend I'll do a couple of 3 hour road bike rides – easy pace, not much climbing. Phil will try to ride, too – we'll see if the position on the road bike is too much for him.

I'll eat healthy meals with lean protein, lots of vegetables and some whole grains – brown rice, probably.

I'll drink plenty of water and continue my alcohol drought.

And I'll count the days until August 15th . . .

[Sounds like Dave Wiens is also ready for the hoopla to end . . .]

No comments:

Post a Comment